Social Action Committee (SAC)
The mission of the Social Action Committee is to put our values into action. In Unitarian Universalism, we have a legacy of "deeds, not creeds." The foundation of our UU faith is our principles: to respect the inherent worth and dignity of every person, seek justice, equity, and compassion in human relations through the democratic process respect the interdependent web of all existence. Our UU principles guide the actions and activities of the Social Action Committee.
Activities and Opportunities
Our Social Action Committee provides our Fellowship with activities and opportunities to put these UU values into action in a variety of ways.
- First, we recommend organizations to receive 40% of the Sunday plate donations.
- Second, we coordinate “Boots-on-the-Ground” volunteer activities that support causes aligned with our values.
- Third, we host and coordinate our “UU Faith in Action Sunday” with speakers discussing social justice issues relevant to our community.
- Fourth, we host our Triple U Legislative Team sharing updates on relevant legislation impacting our values and advocate at the local, state, and federal levels for social justice issues.
SAC Focus for 2023
“The Year for Justice… Making a Difference!”
This year we are putting into practice our desire for justice in the areas of legislative action, environmental justice, and human rights.
- 1st Quarter: Legislative Action. Our focus on justice in the coming year will begin by addressing the spring legislative session and supporting or opposing legislation based on our UU Principles. The ACLU of Florida helps to lead the fight for justice in Florida, and we would like to continue sharing the plate with them in the first quarter of 2023.
- 2nd Quarter: Reproductive Justice
- 3rd Quarter: Climate Change/Environmental Justice
- 4th Quarter: Human Rights
If you would like to join the Social Action Committee please email SocialActionChair@universityuus.org for more information.
Third Quarter Social Action Share the Plate
SAC chose Floridians Protecting Freedom as our Share The Plate recipient this quarter.
The overwhelming majority of Floridians think we should all have the freedom to make our own healthcare decisions without interference from politicians.
Despite that, politicians have again denied Floridians the right to control their own bodies and lives, approving a six-week abortion ban. It bans abortion before many people even realize they are pregnant and leaves little time to get care under Florida’s two-trip requirement. Help put these decisions back in the hands of Florida families and their doctors, not politicians.
Floridians Protecting Freedom (FPF) is a statewide campaign of allied organizations and concerned citizens working together to protect Floridians’ access to reproductive health care and defend the right to bodily autonomy. FPF recognizes that all Floridians deserve the freedom to make personal medical decisions, free of government intrusion. Our citizen-led ballot initiative, the “Amendment to Limit Government Interference with Abortion,” seeks to further codify that right into Florida law by creating a constitutional amendment that explicitly blocks the implementation of laws that prohibit, delay, or restrict abortion access.