Social Action Committee (SAC)
The mission of the Social Action Committee is to put our values into action. In Unitarian Universalism, we have a legacy of "deeds, not creeds." The foundation of our UU faith is our principles: to respect the inherent worth and dignity of every person, seek justice, equity, and compassion in human relations through the democratic process respect the interdependent web of all existence. Our UU principles guide the actions and activities of the Social Action Committee.
Activities and Opportunities
Our Social Action Committee provides our Fellowship with activities and opportunities to put these UU values into action in a variety of ways.
- First, we recommend organizations to receive 40% of the Sunday plate donations.
- Second, we coordinate “Boots-on-the-Ground” volunteer activities that support causes aligned with our values.
- Third, we host and coordinate our “UU Faith in Action Sunday” with speakers discussing social justice issues relevant to our community.
- Fourth, we host our Triple U Legislative Team sharing updates on relevant legislation impacting our values and advocate at the local, state, and federal levels for social justice issues.
SAC Focus for 2023
“The Year for Justice… Making a Difference!”
This year we are putting into practice our desire for justice in the areas of legislative action, environmental justice, and human rights.
- 1st Quarter: Legislative Action. Our focus on justice in the coming year will begin by addressing the spring legislative session and supporting or opposing legislation based on our UU Principles. The ACLU of Florida helps to lead the fight for justice in Florida, and we would like to continue sharing the plate with them in the first quarter of 2023.
- 2nd Quarter: Reproductive Justice
- 3rd Quarter: Climate Change/Environmental Justice
- 4th Quarter: Human Rights
If you would like to join the Social Action Committee please email SocialActionChair@universityuus.org for more information.
1st Quarter Social Action Share the Plate
SAC chose the American Civil Liberties Union of Florida as our STP recipient this quarter.
The mission of the ACLU of Florida is to protect, defend, strengthen, and promote the constitutional rights and liberties of all people in Florida. We envision a fair and just Florida, where all people are free, equal under the law, and live with dignity.
GUIDING PRINCIPLES AND VALUES
- We value justice, where all people are treated fairly, with dignity, and have equality under the law.
- We value liberty, where all people have self-autonomy, freedom from suppression, and freedom to make their own choices.
- We value democracy, where all people have their voices heard and have the ability to meaningfully participate in decision-making.
- We believe in non-partisanship. Our work is guided by our values, not by political party or personality.
- We believe in centering the leadership and voices of impacted people.
- We believe in equity and inclusion. We build and sustain a culture of belonging as part of our work, and our work is guided by our belief in the inherent worth of all people.
- We believe in integrated advocacy. Our work is guided by the knowledge that achieving our mission requires us to use multiple tools, rather than relying on any one single tactic.