Social Action Committee (SAC)
The mission of the Social Action Committee is to put our values into action. In Unitarian Universalism, we have a legacy of "deeds, not creeds." The foundation of our UU faith is our principles: to respect the inherent worth and dignity of every person, seek justice, equity, and compassion in human relations through the democratic process respect the interdependent web of all existence. Our UU principles guide the actions and activities of the Social Action Committee.
Activities and Opportunities
Our Social Action Committee provides our Fellowship with activities and opportunities to put these UU values into action in a variety of ways.
- First, we recommend organizations to receive 40% of the Sunday plate donations.
- Second, we coordinate “Boots-on-the-Ground” volunteer activities that support causes aligned with our values.
- Third, we host and coordinate our “UU Faith in Action Sunday” with speakers discussing social justice issues relevant to our community.
- Fourth, we host our Triple U Legislative Team sharing updates on relevant legislation impacting our values and advocate at the local, state, and federal levels for social justice issues.
2022 Women and Children’s Issues
Our Social Action Committee has selected “Women and Children’s Issues” as our 2022 focus due to the economic situation in Florida and the political focus on reproductive health. We have four main foci for the year:
- Reproductive Health – 1st Quarter
- Domestic Violence – 2nd Quarter
- Immigration Issues – 3rd Quarter
- Vote Our Values – 4th Quarter
If you would like to join the Social Action Committee please email SocialActionChair@universityuus.org for more information.
3rd Quarter Social Action Share the Plate
SAC chose Orlando Center for Justice as our STP recipient this quarter.
Orlando Center for Justice, Inc. (OCJ)'s mission is to bridge the access to justice gap in Central Florida by using technology, education and innovative programs to reach a wide range of underserved communities. We are committed to providing legal relief to vulnerable and underrepresented populations in Florida with a focus on newcomers through a holistic healing lens. As people navigate their legal process and reach stability, we walk alongside them, advocating, helping them to share their story and empowering them to build a path that enables them to be a voice for systemic change.