Social Action Committee (SAC)
In these days of difficulty, we Americans everywhere must and shall choose the path of social justice…the path of faith, the path of hope, and the path of love toward our fellow man."
— Franklin D. Roosevelt
The mission of the Social Action Committee is to put our values into action. In Unitarian Universalism, we have a legacy of "deeds, not creeds." The foundation of our UU faith is our principles: to respect the inherent worth and dignity of every person, seek justice, equity, and compassion in human relations through the democratic process respect the interdependent web of all existence. Our UU principles guide the actions and activities of the Social Action Committee.
Activities and Opportunities
Our Social Action Committee provides our Fellowship with activities and opportunities to put these UU values into action in a variety of ways.
- First, we recommend organizations to receive 40% of the Sunday plate donations.
- Second, we coordinate “Boots-on-the-Ground” volunteer activities that support causes aligned with our values.
- Third, we host and coordinate our “UU Faith in Action Sunday” with speakers discussing social justice issues relevant to our community.
- Fourth, we host our Triple U Legislative Team sharing updates on relevant legislation impacting our values and advocate at the local, state, and federal levels for social justice issues. Our Florida Legislature reconvenes on March 2, 2021. Please follow this site for updates on pending legislation (Bills) that may impact our UU values with notes from Unitarian Universalist Justice Florida (UUJF).
2021 Housing Insecurity
Our Social Action Committee has selected “Housing Insecurity” as our 2021 focus due to the unprecedented number of Central Florida residents facing housing insecurity as a result of the Covid-19 Pandemic.
Key organizations in Central Florida addressing housing insecurity, services for the homeless, and the Housing First initiative are listed below. We encourage you to help by either volunteering, donating, or advocating for these programs that support our UU values.
Coordinating Leadership Organization
Administrative Arm of the Commission
- Coalition for the Homeless of Central Florida
- Christian Services Center
- Hope Community Center Apopka
- Coalition of Immokalee Workers
- Zebra Coalition
Housing First Providers
If you would like to join the Social Action Committee please email Mary Ann Feldheim at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.